Sunday, August 31, 2008

Congratulations, Laura & Anthony!

My dear friend and longtime roommate Laura is getting married today at a swank resort in Mexico. As most of my devoted readers know, Laura is extremely important to me. We have seen each other through countless fun times and not-so-fun times. We laugh at the same things. She handles my moods. I count on her to tell me the truth when pants make me look fat, and I count on her to tell me this in the gentlest way possible. When Chris and I got married, Laura was maid of honor extraordinaire -- throwing fabulous pre-wedding parties, fixing my makeup, helping me use the toilet while I was wearing the most cumbersome wedding dress ever, etc. She rocked. For so many reasons, I really should be at her wedding.

Luckily, Laura is also very understanding about the whole living on the other side of the world thing, and has allowed me to serve as "honorary matron of honor" from afar. It's a nice thought and all, but I still feel like a lousy friend for not being there in person to help her get ready, to remind her to relax and enjoy herself, to have too many drinks at the reception and make a rambling speech about what a fantastic person she is and what a lucky guy Anthony is to spend the rest of his life with her.

So I guess this will be my speech. Laura and Anthony: I see the joy that you bring each other, and I am thrilled to see you come together in marriage! I send you all of my love and wish you many, many happy years ahead!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww!! That was really sweet!! Can't wait to tell you all about it. Let's Skype very soon!
XOXO, Laura