Friday, May 16, 2008

Sustenance

As most of you know, food is an important priority in our household. Chris and I spend an absurd amount of time thinking about it, talking about it, and of course eating it. It's kind of a hobby. So you'll be glad to know we've been eating very well in Dunedin. Food prices are quite a bit more expensive than in the US -- I suspect because a lot of stuff is imported -- but let my tightening pants assure you, dear readers, that we are not going hungry.

NZ cuisine itself seems to have a heavy British influence and is pretty meat-and-veggie based. Lots of meat pies (lamb, beef, venison), roasts, stews, and so on. Pavlova is popular dessert and I see it in the grocery store but I've been hesitant to try it. Not such a big merangue person.

Grocery stores are essentially the same except I don't recognize most of the brand names. Dunedin has a fairly awesome little farmer's market every Saturday, where you can get lots of good produce, freshly baked breads, and local meats and cheeses. The pic above is a very tasteful artistic composite of a bunch of the goods purchased one week.

Some new foods I am currently digging:

1) Muesli with apples and plain yogurt for breakfast. Yes, I'm European like that. I've never been a big fan of plain yogurt -- kind of like putting sour cream on cereal -- but I got this in a cafe for breakfast one morning and it hits the spot so I've started making it at home. Stick-to-your-ribs, awesome.

2) This gooey Evansdale blue cheese from the farmer's market. It is stinking up our fridge and totally worth it. I do love a stinky cheese.

3) Mr. Ws Sour Worms! Okay, these aren't really any different or more special than the sour worms you get at any given convenience store in the U.S. But Chris and I have been putting away so many Mr. Ws that it's a wonder we have any stomach lining left at all.

4) Hob Nobs (see "Blame it on the Hob Nobs.")

5) Hot tea. I almost never drank hot tea in the US and now I'm having it every afternoon. Maybe because it's colder here, or because everyone has an accent, but suddenly there's just something so freakin' comforting and civilized about it.

6) All of the good ethnic food. Korean! Turkish! Japanese! Indian! I've also got my eye on a hole-in-the-wall Cambodian place that looks pretty awesome.

Chris is currently really digging these bacon-onion-mustard sandwiches from the farmer's market:



Although there is always a long line for these sandwiches, I am not yet convinced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what delicious-looking produce! glad you are drinking tea - have you tried it with milk yet? sounds weird, but it is delicious. just remember you can't use milk and lemon together (unless you like things that have curdled).