Sunday, July 13, 2008

Scotland (Part II)

Last day in Scotland.  I don't have a ton of time, but here is a quick recap:

The Scots are friendly.  I like they seem to be very kind to their dogs.  Haggis tastes great, but I still can't eat more than a couple of bites without getting freaked out when I think about what's in it. (Furthermore, I still can't eat black pudding.  I just can't do it.)  Scotland has a lot of cemeteries.  

Edinburgh is a nice city. Edinburgh Castle is overrated. (In the interest of full disclosure, we arrived at the same time as a massive cruise ship group, so that may have skewed our perspective.)  St. Andrews is my kind of town.  High school student groups are the most annoying tourists.  A pint of beer is always a good idea.

Here are some pictures from St. Andrews.  (We took a few in Edinburgh as well, but none to get excited about.  I think we are starting to get photo weary.)  

View of St. Andrews from St. Rule's Tower (the remains of the St. Andrews Cathedral and cemetery are below)

St. Andrews self-portrait.  Chris was working all day and I don't know how to work the photo timer, so this is all you get with people in it.


Ruins of St. Andrews Cathedral.  


This marks the spot where George Wishart, a Protestant reformer, was burned at the stake outside of St. Andrews Castle in the 1500s.  An Audi was parked almost on top of it.



The ruins of St. Andrews Castle.  This was very cool and I would recommend it or Sterling Castle over Edinburgh Castle.  Any day.


Here's where they'd keep you at St. Andrews Castle if you were a lucky prisoner.


Here's where they'd keep you at St. Andrews Castle if you were an unlucky prisoner.  (Yes, that is, in fact, a pit.  Lots of morbid stuff went on in Scotland.)


See you in Tokyo, devoted readers!!!

No comments: